This Battlestar Galactica board game review is going to be a bit different than our other reviews. Most of the games we review here at Co-op Board Games are purely cooperative, but Battlestar Galactica has a traitor mechanic that brings in some competitive play. It is mostly cooperative, though, so WE SHALL REVIEW IT!
What is Battlestar Galactica
Published by Fantasy Flight Games to take advantage of the huge television series of the same name, Battlestar Galactica is a (mostly) cooperative board game where you must keep the last remnants of humanity alive while being pursued by the Cylons.
Battlestar Galactica is a game that requires everyone to work together, but there is a chance that there are traitors within the group. Part of the strategy is simply surviving, while the other part is figuring out who the traitors are so you can remove their influence from your team as quickly as possible.
Battlestar Galactica Gameplay
The primary objective in Battlestar Galactica is for the players to keep the human fleet ahead of the Cylon fleet. They must ward off the Cylons long enough so they can make the jump to Kobol, a fabled planet. They must do this without running out of resources or allowing the ship to be destroyed.
The main mechanic of the game is what’s called the “skill check.” When a skill check is performed, each player plays a card (secretly) and then decisions are made on what to do next. The players who are Cylons will use skill cards that will slow the other players’ progress, while the humans will be trying to get to Kobol as quickly as possible.
The traitors and the other Cylons will do everything in their power to make sure that the humans do not make that last jump to Kobol, so you have to use your skills and resources wisely and as a team.
Battlestar Galactica’s theme is science fiction and fantasy, specifically centered on the world of Battlestar Galactica. It is very impressive how designer Corey Konieczka was able to seamlessly implement the TV show’s theme into a board game. People who were fans of the show will definitely enjoy the theme in this game.
Every Battlestar Galactica component, including the cards and the plastic ships, add to the space feel of the game.
Check out Battlestar Galactica on Amazon
- If you were thinking that Battlestar Galactica is just a game that was created to cash in on the show, well, you’d be wrong. It is a very well thought out co-op board game that can be intense and fun for everyone involved. Players must make tough decisions throughout if they want any chance of survival, and they must work hard to try to figure out who the Cylons are.
- Most Battlestar Galactica fans will agree that this is one of the best TV-show-to-board-game implementations ever made; maybe THE best. It’s hard not to get so immersed in it that you feel as if some of the decisions you are making are made inside of that universe.
- Battlestar Galactica is great, but there are some downsides. The first is that you need at least five players to have a really complete game experience. That can be a problem if you never have enough people to play the game.
- Another problem that some players will have with this Battlestar Galactica board game is that it takes a long time to finish. Games can run anywhere from two to four hours, but players who enjoy the game from the outset won’t even notice since the time does fly by.
- We should also point out that people who did not like the Battlestar Galactica TV show probably will not enjoy this game. However, players who haven’t seen the show can still have fun playing it even though they won’t completely understand what’s going on at first.
If you love the show, or even if you have not seen the show, Battlestar Galactica is a great game that can bring hours of tense enjoyment. Gamers are going to love diving into this world, and the game has an immense amount of replay value since players will have different roles and abilities each time they play.
If you regularly play with a larger group, then chances are Battlestar Galactica is going to be a great cooperative board game to add to your collection. It’s still okay to own Battlestar Galactica if you normally play with fewer people, but it probably won’t be hitting the table very often.
We can definitely see why the Battlestar Galactica board game is one of the most popular board games of the last 10 years. It’s actually right outside of our top 20 co-op games right now.
Battlestar Galactica Links
BoardGameGeek | Amazon | CoolStuffInc | eBay
Thanks for taking the time to read our Battlestar Galactica board game review!